Monday, November 28, 2011

Proloquo2Go (come on, you knew it was coming!)

Note that this is my response to this blog.

  
    It was inevitable: though most people already know about this revolutionary app, I can't help but jump on the bandwagon. Proloquo2Go is absolutely fantastic- it's the best "tech tool" out right now for the Special Education community.

    In previous years, DynaVox has given a voice to those who cannot speak; people with Autism, Cerebral Palsy, and ALS were able to use this machine to communicate with others. Unfortunately, DynaVox is EXTREMELY expensive- I'm talking thousands of dollars! Though it was a revolutionary device, the fact that most people cannot afford it is really upsetting to me.

    So Apple did what they do best: they revolutionized the revolutionary. Now, students can use iPads to access the newer and less expensive program: Proloquo2Go. Compared to the thousands of dollars that one might spend on the DynaVox, the Proloquo2Go is less than $200. So even if you buy an iPad for $500 and the app for $200, you still end up spending less on the program, and you can use the iPad for other things!

    And yes, it's worth the money. I was a student aide in high school, and I worked with the Special Education students. Two of my students used this program, not just in their Speech class, but in Mathematics, Science, and Reading class too! They loved it because they got to use and iPad in class, and they were consistently less frustrated because they were able to communicate effectively. I think I loved it as much as they did! If you are a teacher, ask your school about special grants or funding and you might be able to get yourself a class set!

    So do some research for yourself! Explore the program and read the reviews! It’s well worth your time!


My rating on this “tech tool”: 5/5 stars

1 comment:

  1. I agree that this is a great tool. I still wish it didn't cost as much as it does though. Well written description

    ReplyDelete